This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a commission. Read my disclosure page here.
This sweet and spicy chicken recipe gets delicate, nice flavor from the sweet clementines, rosemary, onions and five-spice powder. This dish is marvelous for entertaining, but you could also make it for a casual weeknight dinner. It is so easy to make and it tastes and looks amazing.
I know I will be making this again, it was so good.
Sweet and Spicy Chicken Recipe
What you will need
2/3 cups fresh orange juice (from 2 large oranges)
1/3 cup orange marmalade
3/4 cups white wine
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1 medium red onion, sliced
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 lbs boneless chicken breasts
2 tsp five spice powder
Celtic sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 Tbsp arrowroot starch
pomegranate arils or sliced green onions, optional
Cut the onions, juice the oranges.
Combine the first seven ingredients in a slow cooker.
Cut the chicken breasts in slices, and season with five spice powder, salt, and pepper.
I know, raw chicken looks gross… But trust me, after it’s cooked, it will become an awesome deliciousness for supper. 🙂
Place chicken slices in the slow cooker and stir the chicken a little bit so it is covered with the sauce and onions.
Aren’t these clementines just wonderful! Nature’s candy. I love their citrus smell and honey-like sweet flavor. I just want to reach out and grab some straight from the screen.
Top chicken with clementines, cover and cook at LOW for 4 hours.
Remove chicken and onions from slow cooker. Pour liquid in a medium saucepan, reserving about 1/4 cup. Mix reserved liquid with 1 1/2 Tbsp arrowroot starch, until smooth. Return to the orange mixture in the saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until sauce thickens.
Serve sauce over chicken, sprinkle with pomegranate arils or green onions, if desired. I like to serve the chicken over organic brown rice. Adjust seasonings if necessary. I usually season again with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt, just because I love well-seasoned meals and I believe it brings out all the flavor. 🙂
Hope you enjoy this festive sweet spicy chicken!
Sweet and Spicy Chicken (Slow Cooker)
- 3/4 cups white wine
- 2/3 cups fresh orange juice, from 2 large oranges
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoon five spice powder
- Celtic sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 7 clementines
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon arrowroot starch
- pomegranate arils or sliced green onions, optional
- Combine the first six ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cut the chicken breasts in slices, and season with five spice powder, salt and pepper.
- Place chicken slices in the slow cooker and stir the chicken a little bit so it is covered with the sauce and onions. Top with clementines, cover and cook at LOW for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and onions from slow cooker. Pour liquid in a medium saucepan, reserving about 1/4 cup. Mix reserved liquid with 1 1/2 Tbsp arrowroot starch, until smooth. Return to the orange mixture in the saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until sauce thickens.
- Serve sauce over chicken, sprinkle with pomegranates or green onions, if desired.
Use the tag #DeliciousMeetsHealthy when posting a picture of your recipe, and make sure to follow @deliciousmeetshealthy on Instagram!
La probaré para ver qué tal
This is perfect and I love the combination of Wine, orange and all the superb spices. I can imagine the tangy flavor in it.
I love that you can just add everything to the slow cooker to make this dish! Such great flavors!
Just made this for the office colleges dinner I hosted, honestly everyone loved it due to the spicy and sweet combo! Thanks for this piece of deliciousness Neli.
I love the combo of five spice powder and oranges. This looks like an easy weeknight dish my family would love! Full of spice and comfort!
This looks yummy, tasty and delicious. Love the spice and flavors used. Soup is always a warm welcome. This is healthy too.
What a great combo of flavors! Would never have thought of adding the five spice!
This looks and sounds super delicious and easy to make! Add the ingredients in my grocery shopping list.. can’t wait to try it
Ooo this looks like an easy and delicious dinner!
Ooh, I love the idea of using clementines with chicken! Why do you use arrowroot rather than cornstarch out of interest?
Cornstarch has gluten in it. If you are trying to cook gluten-free you could use arrowroot starch instead.
I’ve been loving slow cooker recipes lately! It makes dinner time so much easier! Thanks for sharing this chicken idea!