This rich and hearty Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana is comfort food at its best. It’s loaded with potatoes, sausage, onion, garlic, kale and a splash of cream. It is truly satisfying and irresistible.
It has become one of our favorite soups on cold winter days. Scratch that. I made it even last summer. It’s so easy and perfect for busy days year round.
This Italian Sausage and Potato Soup has only 5 main ingredients, prep work is minimal and it takes only 10 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot after it comes to pressure. I am sure you will love it too.
Even my father-in-law said that it tastes much better than the Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana.
It’s one of the easiest recipes to make in the Instant Pot (after these Instant Pot hard boiled eggs) and is packed with so much flavor!
Italian Sausage Potato Soup
Zuppa Toscana means soup of Tuscany or soup in the style of Tuscany. This so-simple rendition is cooked to perfection in your own kitchen on the stove, using the slow cooker or the Instant Pot. You don’t have to venture to Italy to try this flavorful soup. 🙂 This potato and sausage soup makes it easy to bring the taste of Tuscany home.
Tips For Making The Best Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Saute the sausage and the onion for a couple of minutes. You can saute them while you still prep the rest of your ingredients. It literally takes you no time but adds so much flavor.
- Use Idaho or Russet potatoes. They are more starchy, creamy and fluffy, making them great for soups and will make the soup more creamy. Check out this guide on potatoes and their best uses.
- When adding the heavy cream at the end, first add a little bit of the hot broth in a bowl, and then slowly whisk in the cream. This should prevent the cold dairy from reacting badly to the hot stock.
- Add chopped kale at the end, just before serving. Kale cooks very fast, and it’s not necessary that you cook it for so long with the rest of the harder vegetables. Otherwise, it will result in a wilted kale that nobody wants to eat. Adding the kale at the end will preserve its freshness, color and nutrients.
Healthy Zuppa Toscana (Paleo, Whole 30 and Dairy-Free)
Zuppa Toscana is naturally a gluten-free and grain-free soup. It’s loaded with delicious and nutritious vegetables, and it’s healthy.
If you would like to make it even healthier, you could use turkey sausage instead of pork sausage.
Also, for a dairy-free Zuppa Toscana, you could substitute the heavy cream with coconut cream/milk. Make sure that your can of coconut milk is refrigerated and use only the solid white cream from the can.
For a Paleo and Whole 30 Zuppa Toscana, substitute the potatoes with chopped cauliflower florets.
For those of you that count calories, the Zuppa Toscana recipe has 428 calories per serving.
How To Make Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Recipe
This rich and hearty Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana is comfort food at its best. It's loaded with potatoes, sausage, onion, garlic, kale and a splash of cream. It is truly satisfying and irresistible.
- 1 lb mild or spicy Italian ground sausage *
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups peeled and chopped potatoes **
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or coconut cream for Paleo) ***
- 2 cup chopped kale
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
Press the 'Saute' button and brown ground sausage until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
Add onion and garlic and saute for another 3 minutes. Add potatoes, vegetable stock, and oregano and season with salt and pepper. Stir everything.
Lock the lid and turn the valve to 'Sealing'. Cook on manual for 10 minutes. When the cook time is over, turn off the Instant Pot by pressing the 'Turn Off' button. Place a kitchen towel over the valve, and carefully quick release the pressure with a wooden spatula making sure you don’t hurt your hands from the steam
Once the steam is completely gone and the metal pin on the lid drops, carefully open the lid and add heavy cream and the chopped kale to the pot. Stir everything, and serve warm.
* You can use turkey sausage instead of pork sausage to make a healthier Zuppa Toscana.
** For Paleo and Whole 30 Zuppa Toscana, substitute the potatoes with chopped cauliflower florets. And use the dairy-free option below.
*** For dairy-free Zuppa Toscana, substitute heavy cream with cold coconut cream. Make sure that your can of coconut milk is refrigerated and use only the solid white cream from the can.