This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a commission. Read my disclosure page here.
Sweet Potato and Kale Gratin is the perfect holiday gluten-free and paleo-friendly side dish! It’s made with sweet potatoes, kale, milk, flour, garlic and lemon juice. The lemon juice adds so much freshness and the minced garlic – so much flavor. The flavors in this side dish are so rich and delicious! Don’t let the simple presentation of the gratin fool it, your guests will love it, and they will be asking for seconds.
Not only is this recipe amazingly delicious but it is also very easy and quick to make. It has only a handful of main ingredients and takes approximately 30 minutes to cook. I am definitely making it for Thanksgiving this year! This sweet potato and kale gratin recipe has become a favorite Thanksgiving side dish but it also goes wonderfully as a side dish with other meats. I like to serve it with roasted chicken or ham.
Tips for Making Sweet Potato and Kale Gratin
- Use a [easyazon_link identifier=”B013JL2SVU” locale=”US” tag=”delimeethea05-20″]mandoline slicer[/easyazon_link] to slice the sweet potatoes into even slices. That guarantees that the sweet potato slices will cook evenly.
- Prep the veggies ahead and keep them wrapped in ziplock bags, they will be good refrigerated for several days.
- If you are serving a larger crowd, I would recommend to double the recipe and use a larger baking dish or to make two gratins. This recipe serves about 6 people.
10 Gluten-free and Paleo-friendly Thanksgiving recipes:
If you are looking for more delicious holiday side dishes, you might like these.
Thanksgiving is just 1 day away! It’s hard to believe how quickly this year flew by. My little boy just turned 1 a couple of weeks ago. There is so much I am thankful for this year – from good health to a good job, to making fun and precious memories with my family.
Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and a great time with your family and friends! And I hope you are willing to add this recipe to your Thanksgiving menu as well. 🙂 If you do, I would love to hear from you how you liked it.
What is the Thanksgiving dish you can’t live without? I would love to hear from you in a comment below.
Sweet Potato and Kale Gratin
- Preheat oven to 450 F. In a large pan, heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the sweet potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes until lightly browned and slightly softened. Add the chopped kale, season with salt and pepper, cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes until slightly wilted. Add ½ cup of water and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, or until the kale has wilted and the water has cooked off. Stir in the lemon juice. Remove from heat.
- In a medium pan, heat the butter on medium-high until melted. Add the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the flour and cook, whisking frequently, 30 seconds, or until well combined. Slowly whisk in the milk and ½ cup of water; cook, whisking frequently, about 3 minutes, or until thickened. Turn off the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables to the pot of béchamel sauce; stir to combine. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven. Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Use the tag #DeliciousMeetsHealthy when posting a picture of your recipe, and make sure to follow @deliciousmeetshealthy on Instagram!