This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a commission. Read my disclosure page here.
Shopska salad is a traditional Bulgarian salad made with tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper, onion, olives, seasoned with extra virgin olive oil and salt. It’s topped with finely grated feta cheese. Traditionally, we use white brine cheese called ‘sirene’ (the word in Bulgarian has nothing to do with sirens. haha :)) which is made of goat’s milk, sheep milk, and cow milk. It is very similar to Greek feta cheese which is very popular here in the States, that’s why I used feta cheese. The name of the salad comes from the region Shopluk which is an area roughly where Bulgaria, Serbia, and Macedonia meet.
This Shopska salad is a wonderful side dish to your next BBQ. Serve it along side grilled chicken or steak. It is a super healthy salad that is also easy peasy to make. The ingredients are simple and it literally takes about 10 – 15 minutes to prepare. This salad serves 4-6 people depending on your appetites.
How To Make Shopska Salad
What you need
3 tomatoes, diced
1/2 long (European) cucumber, or 1 regular cucumber, thinly sliced and halved
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup olives, sliced
1/2 of a large red onion, finely chopped
1 cup Bulgarian feta cheese (sirene), thinly grated
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt, to taste
In a large bowl mix together tomatoes, cucumber, green bell peppers, red onion, and olives. Season with olive oil, and salt.
Sprinkle the feta cheese over the salad so that it’s nicely covered.
Serve immediately or chill before serving. Hope you enjoy it!
Shopska Salad (Bulgarian Salad)
- In a large bowl mix together tomatoes, cucumber, green bell peppers, red onion, and olives. Season with olive oil, and salt.
- Sprinkle the feta cheese over the salad so that it’s nicely covered.
- Serve immediately or chill before serving.
TIPS & NOTES
- Chop all of the veggies into evenly sized pieces so that it’s easy to eat.
- Use fresh and ripe ingredients for the best flavors.
- Once you have made the salad, taste a little and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
Use the tag #DeliciousMeetsHealthy when posting a picture of your recipe, and make sure to follow @deliciousmeetshealthy on Instagram!