This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure page here.
These Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Kebabs are full of flavor, and so easy to make either on the grill or in the oven. Chicken and fresh summer vegetables are marinated in a light Mediterranean-style marinade of lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and spices, then grilled on skewers until golden brown. Delicious and healthy summer meal.
Perfect weekend dinner for your next cookout – just add it to your summer dinner ideas! Whip up this flavorful Mediterranean marinade and marinate the chicken and veggies overnight. On the next day put them on a skewer and grill for about 10 minutes total. These grilled Mediterranean chicken kababs are so tender, juicy and flavorful – quick and delicious dinner! They remind me of my home country Bulgaria – where the food is so fresh, flavorful and every meal is made from scratch. Mediterranean grilling is so tasty and healthy!
Mediterranean Chicken Marinade
This chicken marinade is light & delicious, perfect for grilling on weekends. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper in a bowl, or directly in a large plastic food storage bag (where you will marinate the chicken). Pierce the chicken with fork several times, add to bag and coat with marinade. Place the bag in the fridge and marinate for at least 30 minutes for most flavorful meat. You will love this grilled chicken kabob marinade.
How To Make Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Kebabs
Marinate chicken, onion & bell pepper pieces in a Mediterranean chicken marinade in a ziplock bag. Place the bag in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Thread the chicken, onion, and bell pepper pieces onto skewers alternately. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place shish kabobs on the prepared grill, and cook for about 5 minutes on one side, and another 5 minutes on the other side, until the chicken is done.
How Long Do I Cook Chicken Kebabs On The Grill
As I mentioned above, I cook the chicken kebabs for about 10 minutes total. But I want to make a note that cooking time for chicken kabobs will depend on the temperature of your grill. Chicken skewers are cooked pretty quickly compared to whole chicken breasts because the chicken is cut into small pieces. So, once you put the chicken kabobs on the grill, watch them closely. You don’t want to burn the vegetables or the chicken.
How Do I Know If Chicken Is Cooked
If you don’t have a meat thermometer and are wondering if the chicken is done, an easy way to tell is to cut a piece of chicken and if the inside is white and there is no pink, then the chicken is done. Don’t overcook chicken, or it will be dry or worse – burnt. You want to get a nice golden color.
What To Serve Mediterranean Chicken Kebabs With
You can serve Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs with oven baked fries or potato salad, and a light salad like these – Tomato Cucumber and Avocado Salad or Greek Salad. For a Paleo option, you can also serve these grilled Mediterranean chicken skewers with cauliflower rice, sweet potato chips or fries. You can also make a simple Ceasar salad or another light lettuce salad.
I also like to serve Tzaziki sauce along with this Mediterranean chicken recipe but if you are not a fan of it, you can skip it.
How To Cook Chicken Kabobs In The Oven
You can also bake these Mediterranean chicken skewers in the oven. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Place chicken skewers on racks over two foil-lined baking sheets and bake for about 10-15 minutes, turn over once and bake for another 10 – 15 minutes on the other side, or until they are baked through.
These Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs are so tender and flavorful. Both chicken and veggies are marinated and the flavors are rich and savory!
If you make these grilled Mediterranean chicken kebab recipe this summer, let me know how you like them. I would love to hear from you!
Mediterranean Chicken Kebabs
- 3 chicken fillets, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 red onion
- Mix 1/2 of all ingredients for the marinade in small bowl. Place chicken in a ziplock bag and pour marinade over it. Marinade in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix the other HALF of the ingredients in the same bowl pour into a ziplock bag with the vegetables. Marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- If you are using wood skewers, while the chicken and veggies are marinating, soak the skewers in water for about 15 minutes. You need to soak wooden skewers in water for about 20- 30 minutes to keep them from igniting right there on the grill. I have also noticed that it's much easier to slide out the meat and veggies on your plate if the skewers have been soaked before grilling.
- Thread the chicken and peppers and onions on the skewers. I usually place about 5-6 chicken pieces and a combo of peppers and onion in between.
- Heat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan over medium-high heat. Spray the grates lightly with oil and grill for about 5 minutes on each side, or until the center is no longer pink.
- You can also bake this Mediterranean chicken skewers in the oven if you want to. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Place chicken skewers on roasting racks over two foil-lined baking sheets and bake for about 10-15 minutes, turn over once and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes on the other side, or until they are baked through.
Originally published on May 18th, 2015.
Use the tag #DeliciousMeetsHealthy when posting a photograph of your recipe, and make sure to follow @deliciousmeetshealthy on Instagram!