This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a commission. Read my disclosure page here.
This Easy Creamy Chicken Marsala is cooked in a delicious creamy mushroom sauce. This meal is made entirely in one skillet/one pot and it takes only about 30 minutes to make.
Chicken Marsala Recipe
This Chicken Marsala with mushrooms is one of my favorite go-to recipes to make on busy weeknights because it’s quick and easy to cook. The result is an absolutely tasty meal with a flavorful Marsala mushroom sauce. It’s one of those recipes that you will make time and time again. It tastes good, it’s easy and the entire family will LOVE it! It is simple and packed with such amazing flavor. Restaurant quality meal made at home.
Chicken Marsala Sauce
The Chicken Marsala Sauce is made with the browned bits left in the pan after cooking the chicken, as well as Marsala wine, onions, minced garlic, mushrooms, heavy cream, and herbs. I also like to add some cooked bacon, pancetta prosciutto for the most flavorful Marsala sauce. The sauce is reduced to one half and can be additionally thickened with some flour or starch if necessary.
Tips for The Best Chicken Marsala Recipe
- Start with thin chicken breast fillets. Either halve the chicken breasts in half horizontally or pound them to ½ inch thickness.
- Season thin chicken breasts on both sides with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Coat the chicken fillets in flour (or gluten-free flour for a gluten-free Chicken Marsala). The flour makes the chicken fillets nice and crispy and also helps with thickening the Marsala sauce.
- Use butter and olive oil to achieve the best golden-brown results and most delicious flavor.
- Use the brown bits at the bottom of your pan after cooking the chicken. They add a ton of flavor to the Marsala sauce. Use a wooden spoon to gently scrape the bottom of the pan as the onions and mushrooms are cooking.
How To Thicken Chicken Marsala
When the Marsala sauce has begun to boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer it. The liquid should reduce by half and thicken. If the Chicken Marsala sauce is not thick enough, you can combine 1 teaspoon of cornstarch (or arrowroot starch for gluten-free version) with 1 teaspoon of the sauce in a small bowl. Stir well to form a slurry and return back to the pan, stirring well.
Substitution Options for Marsala Wine
You can substitute Marsala wine with dry Madeira wine, or any dry white wine. Alcohol does burn off during cooking and it’s safe for kids to eat as well. But if you prefer not to use alcohol at all, you can substitute it with chicken broth.
What to Serve With Chicken Marsala
Other great side dish options for chicken marsala are:
Healthy Chicken Marsala
Chicken Marsala is generally a wholesome and delicious meal – perfect for busy weeknights when you don’t have much time but you also don’t want to eat take out food. You can also make it Paleo & Whole30 if you substitute the heavy whipping cream with coconut cream. You could also use almond milk but you will need to thicken the sauce with a starch like cornstarch (or arrowroot starch for gluten-free option). Also, use gluten-free flour or arrowroot starch to make it gluten-free.
More One Skillet Chicken Recipes (ready in 30 minutes)
If you are looking for more easy and quick chicken recipes to add to your weekly rotation, you will love these one-skillet recipes. They are delicious and made within 30-40 minutes.
Hope you enjoy this delicious and easy Chicken Marsala recipe! Be sure and let me know how you like this easy skillet meal in the comments below!
How To Make Chicken Marsala
Easy Creamy Chicken Marsala
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds), pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Garlic powder
- 1/3 cup flour, (or gluten-free flour for gluten-free version)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz baby Portobello, crimini or shiitake mushrooms (or a combination), cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup organic chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, (or coconut cream for Paleo/Whole30)
- 4 slices prosciutto, chopped
- Parsley, chopped (optional)
- Fresh thyme, chopped (optional)
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Thinly coat chicken fillets in flour. In a large skillet, heat oil and butter, and cook chicken on medium high heat for about 3 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in center. Transfer to a plate.
- Add chopped onion to the skillet, and cook for a couple of minutes until onion is translucent. Add mushrooms and minced garlic, and cook for about 3-4 minutes until tender and juices have evaporated. Season vegetables with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour Marsala wine, chicken broth and heavy whipping cream to the skillet. Add chopped prosciutto slices. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until sauce has thickened and reduced by half. Season sauce with salt, pepper to taste, if necessary.
- Add cooked chicken back to the skillet and warm for a minute. Sprinkle some parsley or fresh thyme and serve warm.
Use the tag #DeliciousMeetsHealthy when posting a picture of your recipe, and make sure to follow @deliciousmeetshealthy on Instagram!