This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a commission. Read my disclosure page here.
This comforting Chicken Paprikash will fill you up and keep you warm on a cold and rainy day. Chicken Paprikash is a Hungarian dish but it’s also very popular in Eastern Europe. Some European countries have their own version of the Hungarian chicken Paprikash or Paprika Chicken. Growing up in Eastern Europe, I remember my grandmother cooked a similar dish with lots of peppers and onions. It was my favorite, especially topped with lots of crumbled feta cheese. I could eat it every week and I was so happy when she cooked this meal – it made my heart sing. ♩ ♫ ♪♪ ♩
This easy chicken paprikash is made with chicken, peppers, onions, garlic, stock, sour cream, and of course paprika. It is important to use fresh, high-quality paprika for this recipe. I recommend sweet Hungarian paprika available on Amazon or at Penzys online. If you enjoy spicy food, you could try replacing 1 tsp of the paprika with hot Hungarian paprika. Paprika can go flat or tasteless if it is too old. So check your paprika first, before starting this dish.
This Hungarian chicken paprikash is very easy and quick to make. It is made with just a handful of ingredients, and it takes about 30 minutes to make from start to finish. I love simple yet delicious recipes! And this one is a winner. The chicken paprikash sauce is absolutely amazing!
3 Tips for Cooking the Best Chicken Paprikash:
- Sear the chicken – Searing the chicken (which means cooking the food at high temperature until a caramelized crust forms) adds a lot of flavor and produces a more complex sauce.
- Saute the paprika with the vegetables for a couple of minutes – toasting the paprika in high heat helps the paprika develop all-new flavor, adding complexity and depth to the spice.
- Use fresh good quality paprika – there is a huge difference between a good paprika and regular store-bought paprika.
How to Make Chicken Paprikash
There are many ways you can make chicken paprikash. Some add tomatoes, others omit the peppers and tomatoes, and third, add a lot more peppers and onions. I like to add peppers, onions and minced garlic to my chicken paprikash. I also like to top it with crumbled feta cheese and pine nuts which are optional. Topping the chicken paprikash with feta cheese makes it so creamy and delicious!
You can serve chicken paprikash with noodles, dumplings, spaetzle or even with the best mashed potatoes (shown with egg noodles).
If you love this recipe, I am sure you will also love this delicious Chicken Penne with Creamy Mushroom White Wine Sauce.
Easy Chicken Paprikash
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika, plus extra for seasoning the chicken
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 oz egg noodles
- feta cheese
- pine nuts, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Season chicken on both sides with salt, pepper and sweet Hungarian paprika, and add to the skillet. Cook without moving the chicken pieces for about 4 minutes per side and flip them over, and cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until cooked through. When chicken is done, transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet, add more olive oil and sliced onion and red bell pepper. Cook for few minutes until vegetables are soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Season with salt, pepper and sweet Hungarian paprikato taste, and saute the vegetables for couple of minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken stock, sour cream and stir well.
- Add chicken to the skillet and stir everything. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes until flavors blend and sauce thickens. Taste for salt and pepper and add more if needed.
- While the chicken paprikash is cooking, cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- Serve chicken paprikash over egg noodles. Garnish with pine nuts, crumbled feta cheese and parsley. Enjoy!
Use the tag #DeliciousMeetsHealthy when posting a picture of your recipe, and make sure to follow @deliciousmeetshealthy on Instagram!