This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure page here.
Cowboy Caviar – a colorful blend of beans and fresh vegetables, made in 15 min. Some people call it Texas caviar, black bean salsa or Southwestern bean dip.
I love making this colorful salad – it’s perfect for your next BBQ party, a family get-together or a potluck. Cowboy Caviar is a mix between a salad, a salsa, a side dish, and a dip if served with chips. It is also great as a taco topping or served with grilled meat and fresh gluten-free tortillas.
It’s made with 3 varieties of beans for added protein and fiber, a pile of fresh veggies and topped with a delicious lime dressing. So light and fresh. I served it alongside some grilled chicken and we really enjoyed it.
This salad is a perfect side dish for grilled meat, chicken or fish. It’s easy to make, and there is no cooking required which is a bonus during these hot summer days we are having this week. I made it last year for the 4th of July and everyone loved it.
For salad lovers, this Cowboy Caviar recipe is a dream come true. There is the creaminess of the corn, the crunchy bell peppers, and the soft beans. And the lime dressing is so good! You won’t stop eating it. It’s highly addictive.
This salad makes enough to feed to a crowd, so if you want, you can cut the recipe in half.
If you like this Cowboy Caviar, you may also like my Tomato, Cucumber and Avocado Salad.
How To Make Cowboy Caviar
What you need
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp honey
juice of 2 limes
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp oregano
salt and black pepper, to taste
3 bell peppers (I used red, green and orange bell peppers), chopped
1/2 of a large red onion, finely chopped
11 oz (1 can) cooked sweet corn, or thawed frozen corn
14 oz (1 can) cooked pinto beans, drained and rinsed
14 oz (1 can) cooked black beans, drained and rinsed very well
14 oz (1 can) black eyed peas *, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup organic cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
In a large bowl, whisk together white wine vinegar, olive oil, honey, lime juice, chili powder, oregano, salt and freshly ground black pepper until well combined. Dice the bell peppers and add them to the bowl, as well as the onion, corn, beans and black-eyed peas. Stir to combine. Add some freshly chopped cilantro if you like.
Serve immediately or refrigerate to blend flavors.
- I used cannellini beans because that’s what I had in my pantry
Can You Make Cowboy Caviar Ahead of Time
Yes, you can make it a couple of days before you plan to serve it. You can pour the dressing just before you serve it
Can I Use Other Beans for This Cowboy Caviar Recipe
Yes, you can use different beans. You can also use 2 type of beans instead of 3. Both ways it turns out delicious!
For more delicious and healthy recipes, check out my other cooking videos:
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 bell peppers, I used red, green and orange bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 of a large red onion, finely chopped
- 11 oz 1 can cooked sweet corn, or thawed frozen corn
- 14 oz 1 can cooked pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 oz 1 can cooked black beans, drained and rinsed very well
- 14 oz 1 can black eyed peas *, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup organic cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together white wine vinegar, olive oil, honey, lime juice, chili powder, oregano, salt and freshly ground black pepper until well combined. Add the bell peppers, onion, corn, beans and black eyed peas. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate to blend flavors.
♥ FAVORITE THINGS ♥
Used in this post:
Use the tag #DeliciousMeetsHealthy when posting a photograph of your recipe, and make sure to follow @deliciousmeetshealthy on Instagram!