This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a commission. Read my disclosure page here.
Cowboy Caviar – a colorful blend of beans and fresh vegetables, made in 15 min. Some people call it Texas caviar, black bean salsa or Southwestern bean dip.
This salad is a perfect side dish for grilled meat, chicken or fish. It’s easy to make, and there is no cooking required which is a bonus during the hot summer days. I sometimes make it for the 4th of July and everyone raves about it. It’s light, healthy, low in saturated fats and so refreshing!
It’s made with 3 varieties of beans for added protein and fiber, a pile of fresh veggies and topped with a delicious lime dressing. So light and fresh. I served it alongside some grilled chicken and we really enjoyed it. This Texas caviar is a great summer salad, and it makes enough to feed a crowd.
For salad lovers, this Cowboy Caviar recipe is a dream come true. There is the creaminess of the corn and avocado, the crunchy bell peppers, and the soft beans. And the lime dressing is so good! You won’t stop eating it. It’s highly addictive.
How To Make Cowboy Caviar
This is one of the easiest dishes you can make for a potluck – just toss the beans, peppers, corn, tomato, onion, and avocado in a large salad bowl, and pour the dressing on top. Add some cilantro or scallions on top.
Along with my Broccoli Salad, this is another favorite dish that I like to bring to a potluck or family get-together. I always get compliments on how delicious they are.
Quick Tips for Best Cowboy Caviar Recipe – Southwest Beans and Corn Salad
- Use Roma tomatoes since they are not as watery as other tomatoes. If you use other tomatoes, the salad might be too water after it sits for a while.
- Add the avocado slices just before serving and stir it in gently to prevent it from turning mushy.
- Let the salad sit for about 1 hour before serving to allow for the flavors to meld.
Can You Use Italian Dressing in Cowboy Caviar
Yes, you can use store-bought Italian dressing instead of the homemade dressing in this Texas caviar recipe.
Can I Use Other Beans for This Cowboy Caviar Recipe
Yes, you can use different beans. You can also use 2 types of beans instead of 3. Either way, it turns out delicious!
How To Serve This Salad
I love making this colorful salad – it’s perfect for your next summer party, a family get-together or a potluck. Cowboy Caviar is a mix between a salad, a salsa, a side dish, and a dip if served with chips. It is also great as a taco topping or served with grilled meat and fresh gluten-free tortillas.
Can You Make Texas Caviar Ahead of Time
Yes, you can make it a couple of days before you plan to serve it. Chop and add the avocado and tomatoes just before serving. Also, whisk and store the dressing in the refrigerator separately and pour over the salad before serving.
Everything else (the peppers, corn, and beans) can be mixed together and stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
Other Easy Potluck Salads You’ll Love
If you like this Cowboy Caviar, you may also like these quick and easy salads:
Cowboy Caviar Salad
- 3 bell peppers, I used red, green and orange bell peppers, chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 of a large red onion, finely chopped
- 11 oz 1 can grilled sweet corn, or thawed frozen corn
- 14 oz 1 can cooked pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 oz 1 can cooked black beans, drained and rinsed very well
- 14 oz 1 can black eyed peas *, drained and rinsed
- 2 large avocados, chopped
- 1/4 cup organic cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix the bell peppers, onion, corn, beans, and black-eyed peas, chopped tomatoes. Add the sliced avocadoes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together white wine vinegar, olive oil, honey, lime juice, chili powder, oregano, salt, and freshly ground black pepper until well combined. Pour dressing over the salad and stir until well combined.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate to blend flavors.
♥ FAVORITE THINGS ♥
Used in this post:
Use the tag #DeliciousMeetsHealthy when posting a picture of your recipe, and make sure to follow @deliciousmeetshealthy on Instagram!