This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a commission. Read my disclosure page here.
This Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala is an easy and flavorful weeknight dinner made with chicken in a creamy tomato based sauce with a lot of bold spices. Always a family favorite.
Easy Weeknight Dinner
Instant Pot dinner recipes are favorite for busy weeknights – they are so easy to make, very hands-off and the clean up is a breeze. I also love that dinner usually takes only about 30 minutes from the refrigerator to the
Tips for Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes (if you have time, marinate it overnight). Marinating the chicken in yogurt and lemon juice will tenderize the meat, and the spices will infuse it with that additional flavor.
- Don’t omit any of the spices for best flavor! Popular spices found in Chicken Tikka Masala are garam masala spice blend (cumin, coriander, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon), turmeric, paprika, cayenne pepper. And of course the fresh garlic and ginger add a lot of fresh flavor to the recipe as well.
- In order to achieve a thick sauce (instead of a soup-like consistency) use tomato puree or diluted tomato paste instead of tomato sauce. Add 1/2 cup of water to 1/2 cup of tomato paste.
What to Serve With Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
You can serve this Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala with rice (I prefer basmati or jasmine rice) but any long grain rice would do. If you want to make it low-carb, whole30 and paleo, you can serve it with cauliflower rice.
Perfect Instant Pot Meal Prep Recipe
This Instant Pot chicken recipe is perfect for meal prep. It requires very minimal prep work since it has only 6 simple main ingredients (chicken, yogurt, onion, garlic, ginger and tomato puree) and the rest are spices.
You can marinate the chicken and store it in the refrigerator for a couple of days until it’s time to cook. Chop the onion, garlic and ginger, and store them in the fridge.
On the day of cooking, saute the vegetables in the Instant Pot, add marinated chicken, tomato puree and spices, and cook for 6 minutes. Doesn’t get easier than that!
Can you Freeze Chicken Tikka Masala?
Yes, you can freeze this Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala once it cools off. portion it out in storage containers, and freeze for 3-4 months.
It’s a great Instant Pot freezer meal because it’s quick, doesn’t require much prep work, cooks quickly and it freezes well.
When you are ready to use the Chicken Tikka Masala, transfer the frozen meal to the refrigerator the night before to allow it to thaw. Add it to a saucepan, and reheat it until it’s warm enough. Meanwhile cook the rice according to package instructions.
Other Delicious Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious chicken recipesmade in the Instant Pot, check these out. They will not disappoint.
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
Tikka Masala Sauce
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup tomato puree, or diluted tomato paste
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, added last (use coconut cream for dairy-free version)
- Combine all the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl and mix thoroughly so that each piece of chicken is fully coated in the yogurt mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes up to 48 hours.
- Turn on your Instant Pot to the ‘Saute’ setting. Add the butter, chopped onion, minced garlic & ginger, and all spices (garam masala, cumin, paprika, turmeric, coriander, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper). Stir and cook for a couple of minutes until the onion softens.
- Add the tomato puree and the chicken (along with the marinade) to the pot. Stir everything. Cancel the ‘Saute’ setting, close the lid, and select the ‘Manual’ setting, and adjust to 6 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the cook cycle is complete, carefully move the steam release valve to quickly release pressure.
- Add the heavy whipping cream, and season with more salt and black pepper, if necessary.
- Serve warm over rice, and garnish with cilantro.
Use the tag #DeliciousMeetsHealthy when posting a picture of your recipe, and make sure to follow @deliciousmeetshealthy on Instagram!