This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a commission. Read my disclosure page here.
Skip the queues at your local coffee shop and whip up a mocha coffee at home in just a few minutes. Brewed coffee is flavored with cocoa, vanilla and honey for one delicious drink.
Two of my favorite things in the world are chocolate and coffee, so this cafe mocha recipe hits all the right notes!
Mocha coffee is so quick and easy to make at home and it tastes just as good as a cup from your local coffee place. It’s so warming, creamy and chocolatey, there’s never a bad time to enjoy it!
Why you will love this recipe!
- Quick and easy: It takes no more than 5 minutes to make a cup of this coffee mocha, and you just need a few basic ingredients.
- Budget-friendly: I’m so guilty of spending a small fortune on takeout coffee, this is much kinder on your wallet!
- Easy to make indulgent! You can enjoy this coffee as is, or treat yourself by topping it with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles!
Ingredients for cafe mocha
- Milk: I like to use dairy milk in this mocha coffee recipe, but you can use plant-based milk like oat, coconut, or almond if you prefer.
- Cocoa powder: Use unsweetened cocoa powder for a rich chocolatey taste.
- Honey: For a natural sweetener. You can also use maple syrup.
- Vanilla extract: For flavor.
- Coffee: Use your favorite coffee for this recipe. I like to use brewed coffee but you can use instant if that’s what you have.
How to make mocha coffee
- Mix milk, cocoa powder, honey, and vanilla extract in a pot over medium-low heat until you have a gentle simmer. Stir until honey and cocoa powder dissolve and the sauce is completely smooth.
- Stir in brewed coffee and pour into a cup.
- Top with some whipped cream and sprinkle some chocolate chips or grated chocolate on top if desired.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
What is mocha?
Cafe mocha is essentially a chocolate-flavored variant of a cafe latte and it’s made with espresso, hot milk, and added chocolate flavoring, typically in the form of cocoa powder, and sweetener. Unlike other coffee drinks, the mocha coffee is a lot sweeter in taste and can be great for those who have a sweet tooth and want to balance out the bitter taste of coffee.
Caffè mocha is also called mocaccino and it’s believed to derive its name from the city of Mocha, Yemen, which was one of the centers of early coffee trade. Other commonly used spellings are mochachino or mochaccino.
Does mocha taste like coffee?
A cafe mocha has a strong chocolate flavor to it that sits right alongside the flavor of the coffee, don’t mistake it for a hot chocolate. The rich chocolate flavor helps to balance out the bitterness of the coffee. It is quite sweet in flavor, but it’s definitely a drink for coffee lovers.
Can you make iced mocha?
Yes! It’s easy to turn chocolate mocha coffee into a cold drink if you prefer! Just use cold coffee, you can brew some and pop it into the fridge for 30 minutes, mix everything together and pour it over ice. The perfect way to enjoy this mocha iced coffee on a warm day!
I like to add in a little vanilla extract for added flavor, but you can skip this if you’d like. Try stirring in a little cinnamon or hazelnut syrup for some added flavor. You could even add some peppermint extract for a mint chocolate coffee drink. You can also make mocha with dark, milk, or white chocolate.
Recipe Notes and Tips for Best Mocha Coffee
- This recipe makes enough for one hot mocha coffee. It is easily doubled.
- The mocha drink should be enjoyed as soon as it is made.
More Drinks Recipes
If you like this cafe mocha recipe, I am sure you will also love these drinks recipes:
- Mix milk, cocoa powder, honey and vanilla extract in a pot over medium low heat until you have a gentle simmer. Stir until honey and cocoa powder dissolve and sauce is completely smooth.
- Stir in brewed espresso and pour into a cup.
- Top with some frothed milk and sprinkle some chocolate chips or grated chocolate on top if desired.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
TIPS & NOTES
- This recipe makes enough for one mocha coffee. It is easily doubled.
- The drink should be enjoyed as soon as it is made.
Use the tag #DeliciousMeetsHealthy when posting a picture of your recipe, and make sure to follow @deliciousmeetshealthy on Instagram!