This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure page here.
Try this perfect classic guacamole – very easy and quick to make. You will never need another guacamole recipe.
Guacamole is a dip made with avocados, originally from Mexico. It’s very easy to make and requires only a few ingredients, and 10 minutes to make. There are different variations of this recipe and you are welcome to experiment with various toppings like cooked crumbled bacon, mango, pepita seeds, pineapple, corn and many more. Today, I am sharing with you my tips for best guacamole recipe and how to choose the perfectly ripe avocado every time.
Also, this recipe is extra delicious because of a special ingredient that makes it so much better. Read on to find out about the special ingredient I included, my guacamole tips and my all-time favorite guacamole recipe!
I love to eat this classic guacamole not only as an appetizer with gluten-free tortilla chips but also as a sandwich spread. I got some gluten-free bread and bagels from Canyon Bakehouse recently, and I couldn’t wait to try their bread with this perfect classic guacamole. So delicious!!
Tips for Best Guacamole Recipe
- Choose Ripe Avocado – The secret for a perfect guacamole is to use good, ripe avocados. Choose avocados that are slightly soft with a dark green skin. (Below, I am sharing my tips on how to choose a perfect avocado every time). But if you can’t find ripe avocados, you can also ripen hard avocados at home in about day. Place them in a paper bag with a couple of bananas. The ethylene gas released by the bananas will help them ripen quicker. And if you find perfectly ripe avocados but are not planning to make guacamole right away, you can store them in the fridge to slow their ripening.
- Use Roma Tomatoes – Roma tomatoes are perfect for making homemade guacamole because they are not as watery as other kinds of tomatoes. (because who wants watery mushy guacamole? I thought so – no one!)
- Don’t Skip the Lime Juice – Lime juice prevents the guacamole from browning and adds a nice fresh flavor. It’s essential to add some acidity to guacamole – if you don’t have a lime, you can also substitute it with lemon juice.
- Don’t Overmash the Avocados– to achieve the perfect texture and consistency for guacamole, simply mash the avocados using a fork or a potato masher. Stop mashing when the guacamole is still a little chunky.
- Season Well – season the guacamole to your taste with salt, freshly ground black pepper and a pinch or two of my special ingredient – cumin. It adds a really nice flavor!
How to Choose a Perfectly Ripe Avocado Every Time
If the avocados are very soft when you press them gently, the avocado may be past ripe and not good anymore. Choose avocados that are slightly soft when you gently press them. Also, the outside color should be dark green but not too dark.
Another way to check if the avocados are ripe is to pop off the little stem on top, and if the patch underneath is brown – it means the avocado is overripe, it should be green.
The Best Way to Store Guacamole
Guacamole can last in the fridge for several days if you store it properly. If you are not ready to serve the guacamole immediately, place a half of an onion on top of the guacamole, cover it with a plastic wrap to prevent air reaching it. The oxygen in the air causes oxidation which will turn the guacamole brown. The sulfur in the onion prevents the avocado’s browning enzyme from interacting with the air. Refrigerate the guacamole until ready to serve.
I hope you give this recipe a try and let me know how you like it.
For more delicious and healthy recipes, check out our other cooking videos here:
How To Make Guacamole
Perfect Classic Guacamole
- Mash avocados in a medium bowl. Add finely chopped tomato and red onion to the bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of a lime, season with cumin, salt, and pepper, and mix everything. Season with more salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Serve immediately, or cover with a plastic wrap to prevent air reaching it. (The oxygen in the air causes oxidation which will turn the guacamole brown.) Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Use the tag #DeliciousMeetsHealthy when posting a photograph of your recipe, and make sure to follow @deliciousmeetshealthy on Instagram!