This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a commission. Read my disclosure page here.
This Instant Pot Goulash is a rich, hearty meal that the whole family will love! Tender and flavorful beef goulash is the perfect comfort food for cold days!
Tips For Making The Best Instant Pot Goulash
- Use high-quality Hungarian sweet paprika. Not all paprika is the same and they can taste very different. Paprika is what makes Hungarian cooking totally unlike any other cuisine. Paprika adds so much flavor and color to a wide variety of Hungarian dishes, including this Beef Goulash.
- Don’t brown the beef for too long. Cook for max. 1-2 minutes when browning, in order to keep the beef tender and juicy.
- Use more beef stock if you want your Instant Pot Beef Goulash to have more soup-like consistency. I prefer to serve my Goulash over mashed potatoes, that’s why I like to keep it more like a stew.
Healthy Beef Goulash
Hungarian Beef Goulash is a naturally healthy meal made with beef cubes and vegetables. It’s gluten-free, Paleo and Whole30. This Instant Pot Goulash is also low-carb and keto, if you serve it over mashed cauliflower. It’s a wholesome and delicious meal you can serve on the table in less than 30 minutes.
What To Serve With Beef Goulash
I love to serve my Instant Pot Goulash over mashed potatoes but it can also be served over mashed cauliflower or rotini pasta.
How To Freeze & Thaw Hungarian Goulash
This Beef Goulash is a great freezer meal because it freezes well and when reheated it tastes as if you just cooked it. I usually cook 6 batches of this recipe and stock my freezer with delicious
After you cook the Instant Pot Goulash, let it cool off before transferring it to a freezer safe container. I also portion out the exact number of servings I need to feed our family for dinner. Since I serve it over mashed potatoes, 1/2 cup of goulash (or 1 big ladle) is what I portion out for 1 serving. If you love to eat leftovers for lunch the next day, you can double the number of servings, and have enough in the container for dinner & lunch.
To thaw the Hungarian Goulash, place the container in the fridge the night before or in the morning. If it’s not completely defrosted, you can warm it up over medium to medium-high heat on the stove.
More Instant Pot Recipes You Will Love
How To Make Instant Pot Goulash
Instant Pot Goulash
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs stew meat
- 2 carrots, , peeled & sliced
- 1 medium onion, , chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, , coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine
- 1 tsp salt & black pepper
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot starch (or cornstarch)
- Set the Instant Pot to ‘Saute’ function. Add oil, and when oil is hot and the display reads ‘Hot’ add the stew meat to the pot. Turn beef every 15-20 seconds or so until all sides are browned, about 1 – 2 minutes. Season beef with salt and pepper while cooking.
- Add chopped carrots, onion, red bell pepper, and garlic to the pot. Season vegetables with salt, black pepper and paprika, and stir everything.
- Add tomato paste, beef stock, and Marsala wine to the Instant Pot. Mix well. Close the lid and turn the valve to ‘Sealing’. Press the ‘Manual’ button, and adjust to 15 minutes.
- When the cooking is done, allow to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes. Quick release remaining pressure by turning the valve to ‘Venting’. Allow Instant Pot to release pressure and carefully open lid.
- In a small bowl, combine arrowroot starch & several tablespoons of the goulash liquid to create a ‘slurry’. When it’s mixed well and smooth, add back to the Goulash, and stir everything while still hot. Stir constantly until the sauce thickens. (you want a gravy consistency). Serve over mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, pasta, or zoodles.
Use the tag #DeliciousMeetsHealthy when posting a picture of your recipe, and make sure to follow @deliciousmeetshealthy on Instagram!